Tuesday, January 6, 2015

This morning as i sat on the bench in a nearby park I noticed that my teeth were chattering, I waited a long time for some passer-by to sit and visit. after a long wait an elderly person with a Small Chiwawa looking dog sat next to me. For a few minutes she was quiet, nothing came from her mouth. The dog sat motionless as well. Once in a while they would look at each other and give a passive nod. Then they would stare back to the horizon. " What are you doing here?" she asked as she turned to look at me reaching her right hand into a brown paper sack lifting out a handful of bird feed. I said that i had been watching her for a long time and i was worried about her being out in the cold for so long a period of time. She assured me that I had no need for concern. She assured me that she  was well, and just out to enjoy the season. She began telling me that she had been visiting our bench for many years and this was the first time she had encountered a Bench Head. She spoke of her life as a young person, a tome she remembered well. I was a Clam Digger in southern Alaska where i raised a family and worked outside a canary. She spoke of her children as though they borrowed from her Canadian cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment